Welcome To The Bunches Blog!
So much is happening here at Bunches from one day to the next and now you can read all about it in our blog. Updated regularly, read on for funny anecdotes, stories about working amongst the wonderful world of flowers and plants and see photos of us all behind the scenes and more...
Posts for February 2009
The Sales Office
Posted By JenR on Friday 6th February 2009 15:08
One of Bunches' core values is fun and here in the sales office we like to have plenty of it.
We frequently organise staff nights out, whether it is meals out, attending concerts or as recently blogged the Christmas party, we always manage to have a good time.
We also manage to entertain ourselves whilst at work by participating in games, such as flowers bingo. This is, as you might expect, where we cross off various products and extras instead of numbers to win small prizes when we have a 'full house'. This provides a little light competition in the office, as well as allowing us to inform customers of new products that may not yet be advertised.
We are also amused by some of the comments that we come out with. As many flowers have unusual and complicated names we incur slip ups and whether we have been here one month or ten years, none of us are beyond ridicule. Some of our favorites' include 'coronations' and 'ornamental orchids with ' Le Piece de Resistance' being that 'we do not send flowers out with every order'.
Here in the sales office we also get a lot of work done, with each of us working very hard. We do however; manage to make it fun ;-)
Love is in the air...
Posted By Alex on Wednesday 11th February 2009 12:09
It's that time of year again - St Valentines Day is on Saturday and whether you love or loathe to celebrate it, millions of people across the UK will be sending their token of love to that special someone...
Some interesting facts about the occasion which may or may not surprise you! :-
- 180 million Valentines Day cards across the world are sent on Valentines Day each year
- 13 million of these are sent by people in the uk
- 85% of these cards are sent by women - does this mean there are thousands of disappointed women on Valentines Day each year? This is highlighted by the fact that 49% of men compared to 51% of women will spend money on their Valentines this year.
- £151 million is spent on flowers in the UK each year for Valentines Day. Not surprisingly, the majority of people opt for Red Roses, but alternative options such as our Oriental Orchids are becoming increasingly popular as consumers attempt to stand out from the crowd and send something different...
- Finally.....45% of gifts bought by men are either not used, returned and changed for a different size or exchanged for something different. Note to all men - edible pants and most other novelty items are not particularly romantic, so go back to the drawing board and stick to something simple and traditional... Flowers & chocolates may be the only option that can guarantee to put a smile on your loved ones face.
Remember, it doesn't have to be hugely expensive or bigger than a house, and it certainly shouldn't be a garment that you could floss your teeth with - keep it simple, keep it meaningful and you can't go wrong!
We have a wide selection of Valentines Flowers, balloons and optional extras to add that perfect touch - Courier delivery is included in the price of most of our Valentines bouquets, so the flowers are guaranteed to arrive on the special day.
You must order before 4:00pm on Friday 13th February to ensure delivery on Valentines Day - so what are you waiting for!? There's only 3 days to go!
Bunches is 20 today!
Posted By Danielle on Thursday 19th February 2009 12:01
Today Bunches is 20 years old and to mark this very exciting occasion we're having a 20% off day and a big P.A.R.T.Y! From 4pm - 6pm today all our staff, suppliers, family and friends are joining us here at Bunches to celebrate our big Birthday!
I was only 8 years old when
Bunches started and it's been so exciting to watch the business grow over the
years. Bunches was birthed when my Dad had an idea, back in 1989 and being a
part of seeing that idea grow and become a reality has been such a privilege.
Bunches started selling flowers in a local shopping centre under a 6m x 4m umbrella and today we're a thriving family business that delivers over 350,000 bouquets around the UK every year.
We've been on an incredible journey, creating happiness in over 2.5 million homes, as customers are delighted with our gorgeous flowers. It's an honor to be MD of this fantastic company and me and all the team are looking forward to the next 20 years (although I don't like the idea of being 48 years old!).
We'll have the camera out during the party later today, so we'll keep you posted with photos of our celebrations and our 3ft birthday cake!
Our Birthday Cake!
Posted By Ing on Thursday 19th February 2009 15:24
With the party to celebrate our 20th Birthday about to start, the arrival of the cake has caused much excitement.
mmmmm...... cake :P
The Bunches Birthday Party
Posted By Ing on Friday 20th February 2009 9:57
Lots of people (and lots of food) came together to make our 20th Birthday Bash a great success, with staff, customers and suppliers attending the event. Everyone had a great time with some of our production staff showing customers how we put together our bouquets and speeches from Danielle and Erik (our chairman). We would like to thank all who attended for making it such a great day. Here's to another 20 years!
The Things People Say...
Posted By Dave on Wednesday 25th February 2009 16:37
In a previous blog post my colleague Jen wrote about some of the strange things the staff of Bunches can say. However we are not the only ones who come up with some strange and amusing things, oh yes you our valued customers have done the same on occasion and here are small selection of our favourites:
- Using puns, such as describing Bunches as 'Bloomin' Marvellous.
- Calling Orchids 'Orchards'
- Calling the 'Le Sac De Noel' a 'Le Sac De Wotsit'
- And finally in a thank you email a young lady stated that she was delighted to see her "boyfriends' package" in the hotel room